Tuesday, October 11, 2011

the post office

my brown bike-white wheels- rolled down lorain to the front steps of the post office near 66th: a brick building, nondescript, with, to the left, a parking lot and loading dock behind a chain-link fence. I swung my leg over the top tube and carried my frame inside, parking the bike against a radiator and joining the line around a small center island. the wait was short. i handed the clerk an envelope, the contents pressing the paper into a funny shape, and stared to my right at the poster advertising the latest stamp designs. contemplating buying a sheet decorated with images of various appliances and twirling my hair, my distraction broke as the man weighing the parcel i'd handed over the counter said, with a smile, "Don't even bother looking, because I don't have anything on that poster!"

he and i exchanged chuckles, and instead of pictures of sewing machines and eggbeaters, the clerk offered me a sheet of stamps with an environmentally-minded theme. i thumbed through my wallet, looking for cash, and the gentleman allowed me to purchase a half-sheet in light of the small number of bills that i found.

i bid the clerk good day and said to enjoy the sunshine through the window (finally, sunshine, after a week of rain!) and as i walked away, he replied that he liked the view of it all: sun, rain, snow.


someone entering as i left held the door open for me and my bike, and the warmth of the mailclerk's joviality spilled out to meet the warmth of the sun on the road.

No comments: